Friday 24 July 2015

Major Bookish Blunders

I have a confession to make. You probably may want to banish me from calling myself a book-lover after reading this post. But, Lord, have mercy!

I read this article on Books Riot about “Dangerous Consequence of a Book Life” where these Rioters were confessing about their major bookish mishaps. Well, being a clumsy person I too have had my fair share of accidental “blunders” as well. While the Rioters talk about how their mishaps took place as they were so engrossed in reading, I am talking about blunders that have taken place with me while I was busy being ignorant.

I have a habit of carrying what I am currently reading everywhere I go. Initially when I started working, my boss gave me a book to read. I had to be extra extra careful since she is extremely particular about her books. Once, I removed the book from my bag, and to my astonishment I noticed that the front cover of the book was fully bent!! Can you imagine my horror?!


I immediately put it under the fattest book I could find for six hours straight. Though the results were not that great but it didn’t seem as obvious as it was before.
(Talk about making an impression!)

You must have noticed how fat books have thicker spine and it is practically impossible to read properly. I had borrowed an expensive fat novel from a friend of mine. My friend is batshit insane about her books. While intently reading, the book “accidentally” got a crack in the spine.


(Yes, please take a moment of silence.)

It is weird how most of my blunders happen when I borrow books from others. Most of my friends who are particular about their books have stopped lending them to me, but most of the time I avoid asking anyone else for a book because I fear their reaction once I return them the book.

My Harry Potter collection is the oldest in my shelf. Since we (my sister and I) had the entire collection (1-7), all of our friends used to borrow them. So you will easily find maggi, tea, milk , and what-not stains in the book. While turning a page quickly I have even “accidentally” torn the page and then sellotaped it back together.

(In my defence, I was a kid.)

My tote bag is open, meaning it neither has a zip/ flap or a magnet button. Swoosh comes the rain and there goes my book!

I have had times when I have spilled the entire cup of coffee on the book lying on the table.


I have plenty of such random stories. My books and I share a very unique relationship. Despite treating them badly they always love me, no matter what. What else could I ask for?

I am assuming that none of you have had such blunders, it definitely is a blasphemy. But, if you did have such episodes do share and provide me with comfort while I go hide!



No comments:

Post a Comment