Thursday 11 June 2015

The Unsung Hero: Bookwallah

City Book Centre

I could see his bookshop from across the road. Rows of colourful titles piled up next to each other. As I approach the bookshop, the smell of old used books get to me. Nostalgia kicks in, it has been more than 3 years since I last visited this place, not much has changed. I skim around looking at the kind of books he has and I wasn’t disappointed. 

Readers/ Bookworms prefer purchasing books to borrowing them. Storing the memory of the book they just read in a shelf, in an enclosed space of a cupboard. When it is bought out of the shelf to re-read traces of those memories are still wavering around.

Buying a book has its own plus points. But what about those who are not able to buy them for various reasons? I often wonder how anyone can spend so much on these expensively tempting books. 

I started collecting books 5 years ago, when I was in Degree College. Being a student I am always on a tight budget. My parents think it is a complete waste to spend Rs. 500/- on a book that I might just read once. But who could argue with them? Any attempts are futile. Crossword and Landmark are just out of question, and it was a time when Flipkart and Amazon weren’t a “thing”. Thanks to my friend, I discovered Bookwallahs.

Bookwallahs are not Radiwallahs. They are basically sellers of second-hand original or pirated books for dirt cheap prices. It is a treasure trove for book lovers, hoarders or collectors. You can find all kinds of books, and I am not kidding literally all. From hardcovers to paperbacks, books on design, architecture, India, Lonely Planet encyclopedia, fiction, non-fiction, academic books, everything under one roof. Best part being the price. Though they usually keep used books in good condition, but that has never a problem for me. 

Since then I have continued to maintain a loyal relationship with my Bookwallahs. I have acquired several hardcovers of original books for 60% less than the market price. Despite being second-hand books, they are in really good shape. 

Where I grew up, it was very difficult to find libraries, hence Bookwallahs came to my rescue. I have borrowed and read books by Sidney Sheldon, Nora Roberts, Harry Potter, and much more from them. Bookwallahs have been a minor part of my growing life, and I have never acknowledged them or thanked them enough for providing me with required novels.

Hence, I thought of dedicating this post to those “Unsung Heroes” for us readers.

Pramod Bodade






I went to a very famous Bookwallah at Andheri station, next to Archies. He usually has a lot of options and a lovely literature collection. Mr. Pramod (owner) is a humble being. At first he was skeptical to talk to me, but later on indulged me with his stories.




Latest Novels



How did it all start? How long are you in this business? 

Before I started this business, I used to work with someone along the same lines. When I felt I have gained enough experience, I opened this small bookshop. I have been in this business for 25 years now.





Chick Lit & Romance Collection



Why books?

I love books. I read a lot of books myself, and wanted to do something in relation to that. I read a lot of literature books and my collection here is also quite interesting. Later on I expanded my business into academic books.










Literature



 Do you love reading?

Yes, I love reading. I have been reading since a really long time. I read both Hindi and English novels.







Regional Books




Where do you buy these books from?

I buy them from these second hand book companies, few distributors come and get me, and sometimes the customers get books they don't want and sell them to me.










Academic Books



You must be getting  a lot of customers, what kind of books do they prefer?

Nothing like a general preference. I get varied type of customers. Depends from customer to customer. Few like to read literature, comics, some buy academic or non-fiction books.










Children's book


What makes your shop so unique?

The fact that all kinds of books are available here at a discounted rate. I maintain a healthy relationship with my customers and make sure that they find a book that they are looking for!







What sort of scheme do you have here?

For people who return me the book (like a library) I take a deposit for Rs. 100 and return them Rs. 70 (Rs. 30 reading charges) and for academic or school books I charge 50/50.

Being at a bookshop, I couldn't resist buying a book. I bought Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. He gave me the book for Rs. 100 without any bargain.  

I left the shop with a smile on my face
 

Share with me your Bookwallah story. There are plenty of people out there who share our passion for reading! Let us discover them all. 

Thank You Mr. Pramod for this interview, it sure was fun!

  
Note: The conversation took place in Hindi.

No comments:

Post a Comment