Wednesday 17 June 2015

An Incomplete Love Affair


Reading a novel is an art. There are a lot of factors that are taken into consideration for it to be passed off as a good book. You look at how developed the story is, how well-rounded the characters are, how skillfully the author manages to get his message across to his reader, and much more. 

All of these features are of utmost importance for an author to keep into account while writing a book. Only then will he manage to keep his audience engaged.

For a reader, every new book is like a new love affair. He/ She is booked for a few days or weeks to come.  If the book manages to fail the above test, the reader has no option but to abandon it. 

I know it sounds harsh and cruel, but many readers I know of (including me) are at ease with leaving a novel halfway. 

Photo Courtesy: Goodreads

Am I guilty about it? Definitely. I am not pleased about it at all. Undoubtedly, abandoning a book is the easiest way out. It may only be for cowards. But what is the point of continuing reading when the content is not good enough to keep you captivated? My list of abandoned books is too long to keep track of, but several American classics make it to that list. 

Do you feel this sense of unfinished business, which is complicate to explain? Time and age when you read a particular book is also important. Would I ever go back to finish the unfinished? Maybe. Will I still have the same feelings or will it develop into something else? I don’t know. The probability for both is equal. 

Rare are those gems who would never abandon a book mid-way. 

I go by the principle of life being too short to read shitty books. 

We all have different reading style and habit. Share with me your thoughts on this incomplete love affair between you and your book. You won’t find yourself alone.


Photo Courtesy: Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment